|Chassis number WHD 29 was delivered to the premises of Rolls-Royce at Lillie Hall, Seagrave Road, Fulham on 28th February 1950, then on to the coachbuilder James Young in London Road, Bromley where body number 1750, in design-WR18, which fitted to the chassis and the 23rd November 1950 on the complete car was delivered, under the registration number LXB 287, to its first owner George Formby OBE
By the 1930's, Britain's biggest celebrity George was making records and films between 1933 and 1946, he made no less than film 20th This was earning him £ 100, 000 a year when a family doctor earned around £ 1, 000 a year and it delivered all the material possessions - yachts, houses, race horses and of course, motor-cars.
Always in the background, which Beryl and the yachts were all called Lady Beryl and the delivery note for this lovely Silver Wraith shows the address in Fairhaven near Blackpool with the house name Beryldene. Over the years, George and Beryl owned noLess than 26 Rolls-Royce and Bentley motor cars. By comparison, Edward, Prince of Wales, owned just 11 cars from these marques.
In 1952, the car was sold to a confectioner Midlands, John Steventon there are wonderful contemporary photographs in the history file record that Mr Steventon's stewardship of the car. The registration changed to a personal number 1 and JHS in fact Mr Steventon owned JHS JHS 2 and 3 Which variously adorned a Mark X Jaguar, a Pontiac and a Pink Triumph Herald all faithfully photographed.
On Mr Steventon's demise in 1970, the car was sold to a Mr Polochez, a Company Director of Hall Green, Birmingham. The registration numbers taking the showbiz route to Mr JH Saltzman, the movie producer responsible James Bond films and the 1968 film, Battle of Britain.
In 1972, to enthusiastic young stockbroker, advised by a Rolls-Royce that he hadn t owning friend made it until he owned a Rolls-Royce, WHD acquired for the princely sum of 29 £ 3, 400his total annual bonus. But he had made it in every way.
Wholly unaware of the provenance of the car, he decided in 1989 to under take a thorough restoration of the car and, at the same time, dig into the his